Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Returning seizures after infantile spasms?

Ashlyn had infantile spasms as a baby, from the age of 4 months until she was 16 months old. So it has been what - almost 8 1/2 years since she had any signs of seizures? Well yesterday some sort of seizure reared its' ugly head. Ashlyn and I both got up at the same time yesterday morning. We went downstairs and I fixed her beloved cereal and sat her up to the bar to eat. I turned around and took maybe 5 or 6 steps and I hear - SMACK - and ran back to the kitchen. She had fallen off the bar stool onto the tile flooring and was having a seizure. Her lips were already bluish purple by the time I got to her and she didn't appear to be breathing. I scooped her up and immediately starting praying for her until the seizure ended. The seizure seemed to last around one minute, but believe me that was long enough to scare the crap out of me. After she stopped seizing she lay in my arms unresponsive and I had my hand over heart to make sure that it didn't stop beating. Mike had left to play golf, but thankfully I was able to contact him to hurry and get home. By the time we got to the ER she was already acting like her old self. I expected her to sleep for a while after the seizure, but that didn't happen. My brother who passed away at the young age of 39 had grand mal seizures so I knew exactly what was happening as Ashlyn was having the seizure. To be honest with you, I was more afraid of what kind of damage she may had done by falling out of the chair onto the tile. I didn't see her fall so I was worried that she fell and hit her head really hard or had hurt some other part of her. At the ER they did a CT scan, EKG and blood work. Daddy was with us so of course she did way better at having the tests done. She tends to give mommy a run for her money when daddy isn't around, but she did great. They wanted a urine test but she had already gone to the bathroom and she REFUSED to try and push any more out. They wanted to insert a catheter but we aren't in to torture so we chose to keep trying to get her to go to the bathroom. After all of her tests came back clear they sent us on our merry way and told us to follow up with our pediatrician to get a referral to a neurologist.

This morning she woke up and went into Mason's room. I was getting up also and heard a loud SMACK. I run to Mason's room to find her crying and her nose bleeding. I am assuming that she hit Mason's wood entertainment center, thus the bloody nose. When I talked to the RN today I told her about what happened this morning and she said that she may have had a really short zap to the brain again and fell and hit her head/nose. ARggggghhhh this is so frustrating and scary. We have an appointment at a pediatric neurologist tomorrow so I just ask that you please keep my girly in your prayers and that we get an answer soon!

No comments: