Sunday, February 28, 2010

Thank you dear Heavenly Father!

I am writing this to hopefully educate others and prevent a house fire that could be waiting to happen.

Tuesday night as I was lying in bed and saying my prayers I started asking the Lord to protect our home and protect my family while in our home. Huh? The following day after I had prayed that prayer I was getting ready to go and eat lunch with Mike. On this morning I used the curling iron only when fixing my hair, unplugged it and went downstairs. I took Howard (our dog) outside for a quick tinkle and came back inside. As I walked in the dining room to grab my jacket I heard a noise from upstairs like something was running. I was the only one at home (besides Mike who was downstairs who had just come in and was waiting on me) so I ran upstairs to check it out. I walked into the bathroom to find the hairdryer running!! I hadn’t even used the hairdryer, yet it was running and had a smoky/burning smell to it. I tried to cut it off but the button wouldn’t budge!!! I ended up pulling it out of the socket in order to get the crazy thing to cut off!! So I am thinking that if we had left a minute or two earlier I am positive we would have had a house fire in no time at all.

So, my message to you is ALWAYS unplug your hairdryer when you are finished using it!! I am so guilty of leaving the hair dryer plugged up and only unplugging the curling iron. In fact, I never unplugged the hair dryer before now. I told my sister-in-law who is a hair dresser about what happened. She said that they learned in cosmetology school to ALWAYS unplug the hairdryer because there are two elements in a hair dryer that can heat up if left plugged in, even though it is not on. She said that they were taught that a hairdryer could heat up and catch fire, NOT that they would start running (like ours did) and catch fire. So this was a pretty scary ordeal for me, to say the least. Every time I thought about it I would get sick to my stomach for a couple of days afterwards, thinking “WHAT IF?” Needless to say I have been thanking my sweet Lord every day that the outcome of the situation was positive. There is no doubt in my mind that we would have had a house fire that day if I had not heard the hair dryer running or even left a minute or two earlier. Thank you Lord!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

For my dear friend.....

I have a dear friend of mine who is going through a very hard time in her life.  She may as well have a dagger in her heart.  I feel so helpless and feel that the only thing I can do is to pray for her and support her.  I heard this song this morning and it made me think of her.  I can't say that I know what she's going through (that is a line in the song) but the rest of the lyrics are true!  Love you girlfriend and just know that you ARE going to be okay!!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

My first cake

Here she is:

My first cake creation. My leaning tower of sweetness.
There are several things that I want to do
in life before passing on-
 and making and decorating cakes
is one of them.
My friend and I signed up for a cake decorating class
at Michaels craft store.
Let me start by saying~
it was a whole lot more involved than I imagined.
I felt like I took everything but the
kitchen sink
to class. 

She is leaning somewhat
she tasted oohhhhhhh soooo goood.
Even Spenser (who isn't a cake fanatic like me)
thought it was terrific!!  If he liked it,
well then it must have tasted
pretty darned good!!

Our instructor asked us on the first night of class
"why are you here?"
My answer~
And that's the honest truth! I am a cake freak-
well I am more into the icing but
 ya gotta have at least a little cake to go with your icing....right?

We completed part 1 of Wilson's cake decorating course.
We go for part 2 in March to continue
to learn to create yummy goodness!
Next month I will be making my first birthday cake
for family members and I am excited/nervous
about how it will turn out!
Wish me luck!!