Friday, August 10, 2007



Princess A~





New parents who get a diagnosis of Down syndrome for their baby are often frightened and concerned about how this will affect their other children. My son Spenser is 12 years old now (almost 13) and love his little sister Ashlyn to pieces. How many pre-teen boys do you know that will let their little sister sleep with them at night? Ashlyn has been so spoiled this summer by NOT sleeping in her own bed. She wanted to sleep with Spenser about a month and a half ago and now asks every night to sleep with "Pensa" aka Spenser. Those rotten rascals lay in there and watch t.v for hours and I know that it is going to be so hard when school starts back less than 2 weeks from now.


Spenser has told me several times that he will always take care of his little sister and that as long as he is around I would never have to worry about her. I hear stories all the time of how siblings *argue* over who will take care of their sibling with DS because they both want to care for the sibling with DS.... awesome to hear that they aren't arguing because they *don't* want to care for them. :) I think these pictures speak for themselves........







3 comments:

Leticia said...

The sultry prima ballerina. . .perfect!

I am hosting the first ever Down sydrome blog carnival tomorrow August 12th, on Cause of Our Joy http://cause-of-our-joy.blogspot.com . If you have a favorite post about Down syndrome to share, please email it to me ASAP, and I'll post it.
Don't worry if you missed this one, we'll be doing this every week on different blogs, so you can join in another time, or host it yourself. I just thought this would be a great opportunity to get to know one another better and spread Down syndrome awareness.
Hope to see you at the carnival!
Leticia Velasquez

Anonymous said...

You have an amazingly beautiful family.

S. said...

Yes! So true. My very first thought on L.'s diagnosis was what it would mean for M. Seeing Brian Skotko interviewed talking about the impact his sister had on him was awesome. And the SIL of a man with Ds approached me in the grocery store and was crying happy tears telling me about the influence he was having on her children--and yes, his siblings were fighting over who would have the PRIVILEGE of having him live with them!